Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Math Reflection

What? - Describe what the work is about. For example, this presentation is about a country and the requirement was .......Make sure you talk about what was expected for this work and what time it took you to complete it. Was it a group project? What input did others have to this work?

The task we had to do in Mathematics during the second term was a reflection on geometric proof. In this reflection, we were given a problem, which we had to solve. After we solved this problem our task was to reflect on the answer that we got. We had to basically prove that a triangle was a right angled triangle. This was not a group project, it was an individual task which we had to do ourselves over the weekend. The questions we had to answer when we were reflecting was based on what answer we got, how we got it, what other methods there were, and what technology could have been used. We also had to justify our thinkings and reasonings with many different examples and detail. After reflecting, we then had to evaluate our work. In the evaluation section, we had to discuss why we thought our answer was correct, and the significance of the method we used. We had to make sure that our answers were fully explained and in well detail.

So what? - Now talk about why this piece of work is significant. Is it something you are proud of? Is it something you received a high grade for? Is it something developmental that helped you reach a new level in the subject? In other words why have you chosen THIS artifact for your portfolio?

This piece of work is very significant because I received the highest marks possible on it, and I was very proud of it. Math is actually one of my weakest subjects, even though it is one of my favorite. I was surprised that I received full marks on this reflection. I was very happy with it as well, because I put in a lot of effort and time into it in order to make it perfect. It helped me reach a new level because I now have better skills when writing up reflections for math. I am able to explain and develop methods fully. I have chosen this artifact for my portfolio because it is one of my best grades in maths and I thought it wouldve been a good project to include in my wikispace.

Now what? - Now talk about how doing this work has improved you as a learner in the MYP program. Has it helped you organise your time and work efficiently? Has it demonstrated that you are capable of doing mathematics and so now you have a lot more confidecne than before? What are you now going to do with the new knowledge and skills you have gained from doing this work? How is this moving you along the path of life?

Completing this task has improved me as a learner in MYP because of the fact that it improved my math skills. After this project, I was able to think of more methods of solving problems in geometry. It helped me organize my work and time efficiently because I worked very hard and made sure that I paid attention to areas that I didnt understand. I made sure that I spent more time doing those areas rather than the ones that I already knew how to do. It has also given me more confidence in this subject because I now know that nothing is impossible. I was able to solve a difficult task and receive full marks on it.



No comments: